2011-May-21 - Wooroloo - Yard # 12
Here's what I had hoped to do on Saturday :

1) Insulation batts out of garage and workshop areas

2) Remove temporary site toilet slab.

3) Stack corrugated iron sheeting off the plateau.

4) Excavate the 100 mm sewer line.

5) Stockpile sand and aggregate for workshop footings.

6) Paint gable sheeting and mark it up.

7) Bring home temporary toilet cladding, pan, basin, etc.

8) Weathertex cladding around garage doors.

9) Install attachment beam over back door.

10)Install kitchen cabinets.

Here's what I managed to do:

I tried to get up at my usual 5.00 am but just couldn't.

I got up an hour later and was out on site at 7.15 - so still not too bad I guess.

On Friday I had picked up a load (one front end loader shovelful) of aggregate in preparation for the workshop footings.

The first job was to offload this, cover it up with a tarpaulin and then clean down the back of the utility. I have gradually been organising the logistics to complete the workshop - the bricks are on site and stacked and now so is the aggregate. I may need to bring a load of sand and perhaps a few bags of cement.

I still need to organise the reinforcement mesh.

Once the back of the utility was clear I was able to load on all the temporary toilet cladding that I removed last week.

Then I was able to remove a few pieces of sheet metal lying on the ground and stack them on top of the front door pallet.

This then allowed me to set up four pallets near the back door to accept the insulation batts from the existing workshop area.

Next I started sorting through all the clutter in the workshop area.

Eventually I was able to excavate down to the insulation batts.

At this time I decided that it was late enough in the day to make some noise so I switched to breaking up the temporary toilet slab.

First I used the jack hammer to break off the soft screed layer.

Then I used the diamond tipped angle grinder blade to cut about 30 mm in to the tough 100mm cement slab.

Next I jack hammered along this cut (about once per 100 mm).

Finally, I made sure that the section of slab was undermined and hit it with the back of an axe.

After a few blows the cement fractured along the cut line allowing me to lift out a manageble chunk of concrete.

This whole process took about 3 hours but in the end I had a pile of 20 Kg "rocks" and the toilet slab had been removed.

I will load this on to the utility next weekend and take it to the "aggregate" section of our local transfer station.

With the slab out of the way I turned to the insulation batts again.

I realised that at the edge of each horizonatal pallet I would need a vertical retaining arm.

My solution was to use a narrow strip of right angle sheet to attach two pallets together and then run a diagonal bracing arm from one to the other.

This worked out very well and I was able to relocate the insulation batts in about an hour.

To finish off this job, I retrieved the best two pieces of black plastic sheeting form the workshop area and trimmed off any damaged area.

I taped and tied the black plastic over the batts, added some timbers over the top and screwed down some corrugated iron as a cover.

Finally I did my best to sort out the random pile of junk in the workshop area.

I used another set of pallets to store this near the back door. I sorted the junk in to rough categories, placed it on the pallets and covered the pallets up with corrugated iron.

By now it was dark and 7.00 pm so I packed up and went home.

Next week I will clear the last of the debris out of the workshop and make a start on excavating the trenches to pour the concrete footings.


Aggregate offloaded and covered


Temporary toilet cladding loaded to take back home


Breaking the toilet base in to manageable portions


The final result


Setting up pallets to hold the insulation batts


All tarped up


Workshop area after removing a lot of junk