This was a very successful day - got Tony M to weld on 25 cleats and got Linda painting the beams after she finished teaching yoga at Gidgee that day.
I was up at 5.00 am and managed to be packed and out to the site by 6.45 am.
The first weekend I worked as far as installing half a second purlin - ie cleats welded on to the front two beams. This morning, I welded on another three cleats and placed the purlin.
This one runs over the wall that separates the garage area from the laundry.
Once I had this purlin positioned I was able to check out some of the dimensions and get a clear idea on how to lay out all the other purlins.
I then marked up 25 positions on the main garage beam and stairway beam.
The garage side edge is spot on - running a string line down that edge shows no measurable error
Got Tony up on the rolling scafold and rolled him along the floor periodically
In the meantime I worked on bolting down the second purlin - this demonstrated that the cleats were the correct dimension and that everything would work together.
Having got that sorted, I worked on a problem I had noticed on the back wall of the undercroft bathroom area.
When I installed the steel frame for this section - I had a real fight with the slab under this section of wall - it was about 6 mm too high for about a meter.
I spent about an hour using a stone grinding disk and did improve it considerably - but I noticed that the wall still had a 4 mm high spot.
Finally I decided to cut through three of the studs, remove a little bit of length and have Ross reweld them.
Success - this gave me a perfectly level top plate on the wall - very pleasing,
I still have another section on this same wall that is a litle bit up and down
However - I can correct this easily - just pop rivet on some thin galvanaised iron strips - will do this next weekend
Linda did a brilliant job abrading away the rust, converting it, and painting over with Rust Killer Mission Brown