The morning went on tidying up the street level on site.
At some stage I will need to weld on some tabs and bolts to the existing back wall columns.
This will also involve some grinding to prepare the surfaces.
Of course, with the fire risk at the moment this is a complete no no.
However, I am working towards this for a day when the weather is more forgiving (I may even delay it until the first rains come in February or March).
Whenever I mention this to any of the local residents they look worried - so I will need to choose a very safe time.
All I can do at the moment is work on cleaning up the street level - there are all sorts of scraps of building materials that I have dropped around the place while I was busy on the front bay windows.
They are not a problem in themselves but they are trapping small piles of leaves that I wish to clean away with a blower.
It is going to take several visits to do a complete clean up of the site.
I spent the morning binning rubbish and storing away various sheet metal and timbers.
I had to cut the day short as we needed to attend a relative's birthday celebration at the casino that evening.
I really made some progress on finishing off the door frame today.
First, I ran all the timbers through the table saw to reach the width that I needed - 124 mm for the jambs and header and 147 mm for the sill.
Next, I had to increase the rebate from 35 mm to 40 mm because the doors I intend to install are a pair of lovely vintage 40 mm thick constructions.
This meant that I had to very carefully run the full length with a small hand held trimmer/router.
I had to hold it very firmly, as any loss of control meant a blip would be carved in to the rebate.
This happened a couple of time as was accompanied by profuse swearing.
I will be able to fix this with some epoxy but it is annoying.
Next I ran the jambs and header through the table saw to create a 1.75 mm channel 6 mm from the edge to eventually accept some Aquamac 109 for weather proofing.
Finally I trimmed all the pieces to their final lengths removing various rubbish sections.
For the side jambs it had been touch and go as to whether I would have enough length for the required height.
This was why I had to repair every millimetre of these timbers with no option to cut off split or damaged sections (copious use of epoxy has achieved a very good result with these) .
After comparing the potential frame height with the existing frames (sill to upper rebate distance) I could see that I had a spare 13 mm to play with.
I am currently working on creating a half lap joint between the jambs and header to exploit this.
I may have to leave this work until next Saturday so that I can be "in the zone" while working on it - at my level of carpentry skill it is not a trivial task. I cannot just walk out during a 15 minute break from software development and start cutting and chiselling.