I didn't get a lot done today - I left home after 9.00 am and spent the first half hour on site having a coffee and reading the paper.
Also I had quite a few visitors during the day.
The first job was to apply a second coat of Brunswick Green over the patched nail holes in the window architraves.
Then I started dismantling part of the temporary roof so that I can measure and fabricate for the back wall.
By 1.00 pm it became too hot to work here so I retreated downstairs to another job.
I purchased, about a year ago, four sets of double doors in door frames to create the back wall.
I had originally wanted to install stackable doors but with a $14K price tag this is not going to happen soon.
The back wall is a "curtain wall" which means any installation can be removed at a later stage and stackable doors could be installed one day.
Each double door is 1.65 m wide so some additional framing will need to be installed to pad them out to 4 metres on each side of the central french doors.
Ian used his truck to transport these from Vinsans to site and up until now, each frame, with its two doors, has been too heavy for me to move around or to look at closely.
My plan is to break each assembly down in to its frame and two doors and to inspect and refurbish each component.
I created a pole running from the overhead veranda to a star picket in the ground and carefully nudged the first frame up against it.
Unfortunately, in the process, I broke one of the panes - so bit of extra work added here.
Two of the sets has been set up as locked closed with various nails holding the doors in position.
I dismantled the first set.
I was already aware of some weathering of the timbers and this did not concern me - I have various expoxy glues that will restore these to as good as new.
I was a bit dismayed, to find on closer inspection that the frames and doors were of fairly light construction and not all that brilliant in quality.
I spent $1500 on these doors so I cannot throw them away - they will have to do for the moment with provision to upgrade them later.
I will use the door frames but I already have plans in mind to further reinforce them to make them more solid.
As the day drew to a close, I went back to working on removing some of the temporary roofing covering the back wall position.
What I want to do is to lift two rows of floor boards so that I can access the underlying steel beam, replace the roof supports in a slightly modified position, screw the corrugated iron sheeting back on, and then cover the gaps with some bulder's black plastic.
Rain is forecast for Wednesday - so I intend to act on this on Tuesday - it's a good thing I am having a week off at this stage.
It took me almost all of today to sort out the back wall.
This involved lifting two rows of floorboards - made more difficult by a few of the screws refusing to come out.
After that I placed the supporting frames in slightly different postions, screwed the sheeting back on and then ran some builder's blank plastic over the edge to make it waterproof.
The black plastic is held down by lengths of timber and bricks so that it can be peeled back relatively easily.
I also loaded two doors on to the trailer to take home and dismantled the door frame so that it can be carried on the back of the utility.