Contact Us


2018-Dec-22 - Wooroloo - Windows #45

Another Saturday of slow ongoing repair of the window frames.

The second frame received quite of lot of bog and rubbing back.

I also used a small hand held router to reinstate the drip groove and to add grooves to accept flashing on the outside of the jambs.

On Saturday evening I visited the site to retrieve some long pipe clamps and additional dressed jarrah pieces to construct more stiles for the side windows.

On Sunday, after seeing a movie, I clamped the first (dismantled) frame together and renailed it.

For both windows I reinstalled the parting beads.

These tend to pop out of place a little bit so I am applying clamps in a few places and hoping that the primer paint will eventually seal them in to position.

I had previously spent quite a few hours stripping and rubbing these beadings back. I installed them with the exception of one badly hacked piece. For the missing piece I used a new length of Tasmanian Oak that is readily available from Bunnings.

For any future beading I will just be installing new beading and will avoid the whole paint stripping process.


I was lucky and found that the primer holds the parting beads in position once applied on both sides of the bead.

I left this undisturbed for the rest of the day to avoid risking any of the beading popping out of position.

A lot of thinking went in to designing the side panel window frames based on the second hand frames I purchased at Vinsans.

The first window is 15 mm too short.

I have decided to rebuild the stiles myself, following the success I achieved on the RHS main window.

I demolished the donor window - I will need to top and bottom (sill) plates as well as the sashes that I will eventually cut down to the required width.


I spent quite a lot of time touching up the primer on both frames - clamping the beading in position caused a few paint blemishes and bald patches that needed sorting out.

I examined the top and bottom plates from the demolished window and made some judicious cut so that one set of plates can create two side windows.

I started building the stiles - this will take a number of days as I only have enough clamps, and a clamping surface to build one at a time.

Each stile is based on two lengths of 90 x 45 mm jarrah timber - thicknessing down to 40 mm is required for each piece followed by markup and biscuit cutting, then gluing and clamping for 24 hours.

While one set was clamped and glued I prepared a second set of timbers ready for the next day.

I returned to painting the two main windows with primer and then moved on to paint stripping the top and bottom plates for the side windows.


Mainly,I ate too much post Christmas fare and fell asleep in front of television - I did do something but I cannot remmber it in detail - possibly I started biscuit joining timbers to create stiles for the small windows plus a bit of priming of the large windows. Also continued stripping the top and bottom sills for the small windows.


I cleaned away the paint stripping shavings that I had collected on butcher's paper.

This was followed up by cleaning up with the high pressure washer.

I realised that there was a defect on one of the large window frames that needed bogging and then priming.

Also I spent some time relocating the large window frames to the Western verandah and touched up a second coat of primer.

Later in the day I thicknessed two pieces of jarrah down to 40 mm and used the biscuit cutter to join them followed by some serious clamping.

Finally I cleaned up the small sills a bit further and cut all sills down to 735 mm.

2nd frame fully repaired, parting beads installed

1st frame reassembled, parting beads installed

One of the main windows primed

One of the donor windows before dismantling

Timbers selected for biscuit joining

Biscuit slots cut

Biscuit joined, glued, clamped

Donor window plates halved