Contact Us


2018-Oct-27 - Wooroloo - Windows #37
First thing Friday I bought two sheets of external ply at Midland Timber - 12 mm x 1200 x 2400.

These are intended to form the "roof" on each bay window.

Also during the week, Linda had bought for me some good quality, external, water based, mistinted paint from Solver Paints in Midland - at a VERY reasonable price.

This will be used to protect the plywood.


I was up at 5.00 am and out on site at 7.00 am.

The first job was to complete the fixing of the bay window structure.

In many case, I had applied just enough screws to hold the panels in position but more were required to finish the job.

This took me a couple of hours as there was a lot to do.

I finished off the 145 mm screws that Jim had given me. (I also purchased some replacements during the week).

The next job was to cut the external ply to fit the roof of the bay window.

I needed a 10 mm drop on this to aid the draininag3 so on the side next to the wall I fixed down some nylon spacers before measuring the required width.

I cut the first sheet roughly in half, placed it in position and moved it so that one end sat halfway across a "joist" and then marked up the 45 degree cut at the other end. A second small piece was required to finish off the other end.

At the end of this process I had two pieces ready for painting.

I coated one side and, while this was drying, measured and placed a variety of spacers along each joist to provide support at roughly 150 mm intervals.

I applied a second coat of paint on the other side of plywood piece, nipped off for a bit of lunch, and by the time I returned the "roof" was ready to install.

I nailed the roof pieces down but at one point became overenthused and ended up with a depression between two spacers - I fixed this - but it took me half an hour and some frustration to resolve.

Next, to protect the "roof" and make it completely waterproof from above, I cut a length of transparent builder's plastic (quite expensive at $69 for 2 x 20 metres).

I stapled this above the roof in such a way that the staples should not cause any leaks and then nailed a very long batten across to hold it in position.

This was made slightly scary by the presence of an active paper wasp nest near one end.

At the same time I applied some more temporary coating to a number of timbers to improve their protection from the elements (I am thinking that it will be another two months before the cladding is applied).

Once this painting had dried, I pulled the builder's plastic down and stapled it in position.

I am not sure how well this will work (should be using strips of batten - not staples) - so the whole lot might be shredded by next weekend.

In the fading light of the day I reinstalled the corrugated iron forming the temporary veranda surface on the LHS (though this needs more work first thing next visit).

I finished off at 6.30 pm

Ply cut and painted

Spacers placed

Roof nailed down

Temporary water proofing of bay window roof