A bit of a scattered day again.
I had bought a reasonably nice table saw about 3 years ago as a combined birthday/christmas present to myself.
It had received very little use until now but I was having problems with it binding / burning even on pine wood.
I changed the blade over to a completely new one that came with the boxed machine originally.
Then I realised that I had never set the fence up correctly and that it was about 3 degrees off.
Once I set this up, the table saw worked much better.
However, I decided to take the original blade, and another used, but sharpend blade down to ToolMart for advice.
The fact that I had a used but sharpened blade in my possession tells me that I must have used the saw a lot more that I recollect, three years ago - I must be losing it :-(
The very helpful chap at ToolMart told me that the blade looked ok and that I probably had now solved the problem by setting up the fence correctly.
After this, a quick trip to Bunnings to pick up some adhesive flashing tape.
Next I had to make a trip out to site to pick up my orbital reciprocating saw - I have routed a groove on the outside of the window frame but cannot quite traverse the last 50 mm at the top.
I also unscrewed some temporary cladding so that I could measure the exact rough opening size for the double 820 mm external door - I need to purchase one of these very soon.
While I was out on site I dismantled and stowed the rolling scaffold along with the additional pipes and clamps that I had attached to it a month ago.
Back home I started on the flashing process - I rolled out some building wrap (had a bit left over from cladding the undercroft leve) and using an electric stapler and point fixings I attached the two levels of wrap.
At this point I needed a 3 mm deep piece of spacing to run across the entire window sill before building the sill dam - so I stopped for the day.
I really wanted to make some progress today so we skipped the usual Sunday movie.
The first job was to take some old floorboards, rip off the tongue, and then rip off a 3 mm piece.
I ended up with 4 pieces - enough to do the test frame as well as the real frame.
I fixed the strip down at the internal edge of the sill and then made an attempt at attaching the flexible, stretchable wrap to form a sill dam.
The first attempt was an abject failure, as I peeled the backing off the butyl backed adhesive I let it lock on to itself destroying the piece of flashing.
I realised that this was a two man job so I sought Linda's help.
At the end it was a pretty rough job but at least we had it on.
Next I stapled some lengths of poly flash on to the jambs of the window frame.
I folded the edges of the poly flash in to the grooves I had previously created and then applied sealant to the groove.
Then I placed the window frame in to the rough opening in the stud frame.
Again I needed Linda's help to measure the diagonals of the frame for squareness
I inserted a few plastic packers to bring the frame in to alignment and then drove in 4 bugle screws to lock the window in place.
Next I folded the jamb flashing out over the the building wrap.
At this point I realised that I could not finalise the header flashing until had installed the external staff bead.
This means I should really paint strip all these fiddly timber fittings and also finish glazing the upper sash.
Also it looks like I need to route a 4 mm rebate in to the external staff bead to allow enough room for the weather stripping to work without jambing the window.
I ended up paint stripping quite a few beadings and architraves up until dark.
Never enough hours in the day.