Contact Us


2015-Jul-18 - Wooroloo - Stud Framing # 70
A bit cold, wet and miserable this morning.

Instead of hopping straight in to work, I went down to the local shop, bought both newspapers, turned on the reverse cycle air conditioner, made a coffee and had a read for half an hour.

Once I started I set up the large 3 m outdoor umbrella as an island in the rain and continued on with water proofing the temporary roof.

There were three sections that I had not managed to complete the previous week.

I cannot completely seal this section down as some of the sheeting has to come off as I finalise the fixing of front frames.

For the next couple of weeks I will need to keep it covered with a tarpaulin.

Conditions improved rapidly - all I experienced were a couple of episodes of light drizzle and by early afternoon the sun was out briefly and it was warm enough to work in a tee-shirt.

Fixing the frames down is a bit of a problem as there are no easily accessible floor joists to screw in to.

I have decided that the best solution is the following sequence: nut, spring washer, washer on top of 45 mm plate, through 19 mm floor board, large square washer, another nut to lock in position relative to floor boards, 100 mm of space, nut, washer, top web of 150 PFC, washer, spring washer, nut.

I asked Ross to have a look with a view to him punching the holes through with oxy.

He recommended that I buy some extra long shaft drill bits (approx 200 mm long) and drill the PFC out from above.

The drill bits will be expensive and it will be a tiresome job - but I think this is the only way to do it.

This way we will anchor the front frames relative to the floor and give them a cyclone rating by bolting to the underlying large steel beams.

Also the intermediate nuts will prevent compression of the floor boards under loading of the frames.

The next job was to install the lvl beams.

Duing the week I had glued, nailed and painted pairs of 42 x 150 lvls and marked up the measurement of 3140 mm - the theoretical docking point.

Out on site I checked all the front stud frames for vertical level and measured the as built dimensions - turned out to be 3137 on the left and 3133 on the right.

I then docked the two beams and hoisted them up using two A frame ladders (moving up the steps of the ladders alternately)>

I slotted the beams in place with no great drama and then nailed strip bracing across the top edges to secure them to the frames.

After this I fixed in from the ends with 75 mm framing nails.

Next week I will add a bit more strip bracing - but they are already absolutely secure.

Now the framing of the front of the house looks like it makes senses

Restoring the temporary roof

Preparing for bolting down

Preparing the large lvl beams

Front wall almost complete