Contact Us


2020-Apr-11 - Wooroloo - Back Wall #25
Being the Easter Weekend, I have worked on the construction every day.

I won't localise each job to a particular day as it has turned in to one big blur and I have forgotten already.

All of the infills needed additional thickness.

If you combine two pieces of 90 x 45 mm pine you end up with 90 mm (actually 91 mm in this case).

Now I need four infills of thickness 104, 98, 98, 106 mm - so I need to glue something extra on to the back of each one.

For the 98 mm pieces I just used some 6 mm ply.

For the 104 and 106 mm pieces I was contemplating some 20 mm ply but then decided that this would be a termite risk.

Instead I ripped a piece of 90 x 45 pine in half and biscuit joined this on to the back of the infills.

Once the glue had set I then used the thicknesser to reduce the front face of the infill down to the requred 104 or 106 mm.

The infills will be very securely bolted to the steel columns using 200 mm bolts that pass through the 75 mm columns and then through the infills. There will be square washers on both sides to spread the load over the surfaces.

In addition, I want to secure the infills top and bottom - at the bottom to floor boards and at the top to the recently installed headers.

At first, I thought that the top and bottom brackets, required to do this, would interfere with the square washers at these positions.

Then it occured to me that by making the brackets a little longer they could also fulfill the function of the square washers at these positions.

The upshot of this is that I needed to design these brackets carefully and choose the appropriate fasteners to secure them.

In order for the brackets to avoid interfering with the free placement of the window frames I calculated that I needed to rebate by 25 mm. The same applies for the square washers.

I had a careful examiniation of all the screws (both wood and metal) and coach screws in my possession.

This led to a 2 hour sorting session - which for some reason I found very satisfying.

Also, to create the brackets themselves, I had a good rummage through all the scrap metal I have collected.

I found some excellent candidates - these were left over brackets from when I worked on supporting the bay windows at the front of the house.

All they needed was some trimming with the cut off saw and some additional holes using the drill press.

I also used the drill press to accurately drill 12 mm holes through the infills.


Now I know which day this is as I am typing this up on Sunday evening.

First thing this morning, I carried the other three infills up to the workshop to drill 12mm holes using the drill press.

After this I had to carry all 4 of them down again to my other work area where I have an old school radial arm saw.

I had to spend some time reinstalling my dado blade set and then I gradually worked through each beam cutting all the required rebates.

This was a bit time consuming as I had to keep readjusting the depth of cut for the varying sizes of timber.

Also I had to keep cleaning up the sawdust as the timber is CCA treated - I wore a face mask and kept brushing down my work clothes.

Finally I test installed all the brackets.

Tomorrow I need to apply an oil based primer to the timbers and some cold galvanising to all the brackets.


Lots of painting all day - the infills, the brackets, bolts that I ground the square shoulder off, square washers where I enlarged the central hole.

Infill dimensions achieved.

Drilling 12 mm mounting holes through the infills

Brackets and screws for top and bottom

Setting up dado blade in radial arm saw


Trial install of brackets

Painting, painting, painting