I was up at 5.00 am, out on site by 6.30 am, loaded up 31 lengths of timber, stopped for a coffee at Dome on the way home and back in my office at 8.30.
I can see a lot of flaws in the raw timber I have brought home so I am expecting a high rejection rate again.
So far I have created 29 machined lengths of jarrah stud framing.
I just need to find another 11 to allow me to build the 4 almost identical stud frames.
I worked through each length of timber docking it as optimally as possible.
Out of the 31 lengths I immediately rejected 12 as not worth proceeding with.
During work breaks I ran the remaining 19 lengths through the jointer planer to establish the first two faces.
I ran the remaining 2 faces through the thicknesser.
I then marked up all the flaws I could see on each piece.
Of the 19 pieces I am hoping that 14 are good and 5 I can see are not up to specification.
I dropped around to Tony M's house at 5.00 pm and had him grade each length.
Unfortunately, 2 pieces that I suspected were karri turned out to indeed be karri - so they could not be used.
I ended up with 11 good studs and 1 stud that could be used at a join.
11 out of 31 is a disappointing yield.
I am rapidly using up my stock of jarrah. I might not even be able to finish off the ground level in jarrah.
This is a bit of a relief in a way - I have resigned myself to working in H3 pine for the loft.
Apart from the expense of buying the timber - it will be a lot easier and quicker to work with.