Contact Us


2014-Oct-25 - Wooroloo - Stud Framing # 32
Up at 5.00 am, left site to return home at 4.30 pm.

This was the first time I had attempted assembling a frame at the back door, at home, and then transporting it down the veranda to load on to the trailer.

The width of the stud was only 1600 mm and I expected it to be easy to move around.

I was surprised to find that even shifting it off the horses on which it was assembled was quite a job.

I needed to use the winch up trolley and various inclined planes and levers in order to get it on to the ground without injuring myself.

I clamped a trolley on to the top and on to the bottom and managed to roll it along the veranda.

Even this was not an easy task - I had to keep lifting and skidding the trolleys sideways in order to achieve any steering.

Once at the trailer, it was too heavy for me just to lift one end up and slide it on.

Instead I dragged it up some sloping timbers leaning against the back deck of the trailer.

All this took over an hour and I was already pretty tired before I finished my packing and left.

I arrived on site at 8.00 am and used various timbers to form ramps to slide the frame off the trailer and on to the corrugated iron deck of the build.

Once again I clamped trolleys on to either end to move it in to its final position.

Then more manipulation to flip it over on its other face and set it up in its exact postion for lifting.

I started using levers and various timber offcuts and besser bricks to raise the top end.

After only 5 minutes however, Jim and Sandy turned up and lifted it in to its vertical position in just a few seconds.

Today I am trying a different approach.

Usually I remove a whole section of roof sheeting, position and fasten off the frame and then reinstall the sheets one by one, cutting out slots to go around the studs of the frame.

This time, we stood the frame up, but not in its final postion, instead butting up against the edge of the roof.

This allowed me to mark up the slot positions precisely but not spend the time removing and reinstalling the roof sheeting. Also, it meant that at any point, if it suddenly rained, the roof was reasonably waterproof already.

Once all the slots were marked up, I drilled pilot holes for the nibbler and cut out the material.

After this, the stud frame slid easily in to its final position (well I did need to do some tweaking with an angle grinder).

I fixed it off to the previous frame using dove nailing and also set up a diagonal brace at the other end of the stud.

Then I quickly knocked up some small rough frames to support the 600 mm edge between the studs.

After this I was able to fasten down the edge of the temporary roof and reinstall the edge sheeting.

Finally I fitted an extra piece of stud to compensate for the damage that occurred to the top of the end stud on the previous panel.

The last job was to run around all the roof to stud gaps with some flexible sealant.

I still need to do the bolting down next weekend but that will only take two hours.

I have realised that when rain is threatening I am better off only fixing the frame at one end and also bracing with a diagonal so that I definitely know that I will have time to make the site waterproof by the end of the day.

Then the following weekend I have a short job where I can concentrate on doing the precision work of fastening the frame down with its correct alignment.

Stud manhandled in to lift up position on site

Roughly positioned

Fixed off to previous stud and diagonally braced

Damaged stud on previous frame

Repaired by addition of extra stud piece

All sheeting reinstalled

Site at the end of the day