Contact Us


2014-Mar-1 - Wooroloo - Working Platform #12
I was up at 5.00 am and after loading many items on to the utility I was out on site at 7.00 am.

I finished work at 6.00 pm.

I spent all week, in every spare moment, creating the various 75 mm beam clamps and the 3 standing poles.

On Friday night I was gluing the rubber protective liner (some scrap rubber obtained during the workshop demolition 4 years ago) in to the clamps and did not get to bed until midnight.

Attaching the rubber was a very time consuming process. There were three surfaces that needed gluing and they had to be done one at a time with a 20 minute break between each one (waiting for contact adhesive to become touch dry).

The very first one I attempted to glue all three surfaces in one go and it was a disaster.

As a consequence of such a difficult, late job, I was rather tired all Saturday and did not work as efficiently as I hoped - a bit of a pity as I had been looking forward to installing the safety railing all week and had hoped to knock the job over in one day.

I found the clamps bolted on to the columns very nicely. The rubber lining helped keep all the components in place and the operation was smooth and ergonomic.

At the entry to the garage there are no underlying columns so for this position I fabricated some standing poles (pipes welded on to a flat base made from 10 mm mild steel) and then clamped them in position with some small, rough clamps.

I had originally intended to very quickly run around all columns and install the brackets quickly.

However, in practice this was complicated by the need to choose short enough scaffolding poles and to take in to account the type of bracket being used on safety rail.

I was using fence fittings as opposed to 90 degree scaffold clamps (trying to avoid buying any more clamps for the moment) and the type of fitting affects the pole height (through fitting or joiner fitting).

Instead I became side tracked in to welding together a 7.9 m length of my rough pipe (obtained several weekends ago from a neighbour).

This let me mount joiner clamps on top of two of the poles and run a single length of rail through the tops of 4 poles.

While I was welding I heard a loud clang on the roof and thinking it was a gumnut falling out of a nearby tree I ignored it.

When I stood up from my welding I noticed that one of the brackets had come away from its column and shortly after several associated pieces of pipe came off.

In the heat the contact adhesive had turned to a type of grease and no matter how tightly the bolt was done up the clamp was sliding down the column.

I realised that all it needed was a heavy gauge tech screw through the face of the clamp in to the column and all would be right.

This is did quickly enough but I had to spend about an hour rebuilding the section that had come away.

By now it had become incredibly hot outside and I found myself moving at a snail's pace.

I persisted until the end of the day but only managed to install about half the railing.

I need to bring some more tubing from home.

So, in all, a bit of a disappointing day but I overcame all the hurdles and should be able to finish the job next weekend.

Monday PM, Thursday AM

Monday was a public holiday.

I worked up to 4.00 pm on programming for my clients then headed out to site.

Thursday morning, I really needed a break from programming so I was up at 5.00 am and out to site by 7.00 am.

I worked up until 11.00 am and then headed back home to work for my clients.

Over the two sessions I managed to trim and butt weld several pieces of tube, install 3 uprights and install an 8m length of safety rail.

The completed 75 mm beam clamps

Rubber lining after cleaning but prior to cut up

Lining glued in place

Two brackets and pole installed

Contact adhesive slipping

Problem fixed

The standing poles

Standing pole installed with clamps

Progress by the end of the day

3 more uprights installed Monday, Thursday

8 m safety rail welded up and installed Thursday