I did try to get up at 5.00 am, accidentally got up at 4.00 am, slept in to 6.00 am.
Then I checked on one of my clients' applications and found an urgent problem that needed fixing - so I wasn't out on site 8.30 am.
The first job was to prepare a work area for the large 4.5 m beams so that I could easily roll them around while welding.
It took me a couple of hours to clean up scrap metal and rubbish and to sweep up leaves.
The beams weigh about 160 Kg and are very difficult to move.
I used the low trolley and winch up trolley to manoeuvre the beam around without breaking my back.
Next, I used a wire brush on an angle grinder to remove all the rust flakes.
After that, I marked out 400 mm spacings, nicked the metal with a 1mm blade and then ground the face in preparation for welding.
It took a couple of hours to tack weld the 22 cleats in position.
Then probably another 4 hours to weld the cleats on completely.
I made sure I staggered all the welding to avoid warping the beam.
Tomorrow I will go back and try to finish the second beam as well as rust converting an perhaps apply a primer coat.
Slow start to the day - I was out on site around 9.00 am.
I used the rotary wire brush to remove all welding slag and touched up a few of the welds.
I also drilled the four mounting holes out to 12 mm.
It took quite a bit of work to move the completed beam out and the next raw beam in.
The next beam needed exactly the same step.
I side tracked slightly to drill out its holes to 12 mm and to rust convert the completed beam I had taken outside.
In theory, as darkness descended, I was free to just complete the welding.
However, my lighting was not good enough.
I found myself attempting to weld by torchlight.
I am not happy with a couple of the welds and next week I will grind them out and redo them.
Almost finished on the second beam - maybe an hour or two to go.