Contact Us


2012-Oct-27 - Wooroloo - Steelworks #55
I was up at 5.00 am and out on site by 6.30 am.

The first job was to wash off the rust converter.

Then I carefully measured the distance from the U beam to the front corner.

I wanted to apply this distance to the 8m beam but first I needed to straighten it.

I clamped a piece of PFC and angle iron on to the 8m and pulled it in to a perfectly straight line.

I then marked up the length and very carefully cut it using a 125 mm angle grinder and a steel straight edge.

I tack welded the fish plate on to the freshly cut end.

I then spent the rest of the day alternating between the welding and building the next ledge of the bridge.

I finally finished both at 6.00 pm and then primed the inside of the beam with zinc primer.

It was too dark to see by the time I finished (7.30 pm) so I had to rig up a floodlight.

This confused a local bird which started making its early morning call.

I finally packed up and left around 8.30.

Clamping on steels to straighten the beam

Cutting the beam to the correct length

Fishplate clamped for welding

Welding completed

Bridge work by the end of the day

Inside of the beam primed