I had been invited to catch up with someone for lunch on Christmas eve so I decided to nip out on Friday afternoon to bring back some items to work on over the Christmas weekend.
I loaded up the piece of PFC that I had picked out the previous weekend as well as the welder and a number of other tools.
Back home, I was very pleased with myself for unloading the heavy beam without injury or effort - I used a little trolley that someone had given me years ago.
I set the steel beam up on horses near the back door of our house in Mundaring.
On Saturday morning I had two attempts to cut a 45 degree mitre off one end - I achieved a reasonable result on the second try.
On Sunday morning I ran over it with a steel brush on an angle grinder, welded up a hole in one face and treated it with rust converter.
On Monday I bought some cold galvanising paint and later that day gave it a good coating.
There is probably no point in doing the final coat at this stage as welding on the cleats will do a lot of damage to any painted surfaces.