Contact Us


2010-Nov-20 - Wooroloo - Installing Bathroom #18
I started work out on site at 8.30 pm on Friday evening.

The main job this evening was to hang the bathroom door.

We had decided to install a new, solid door to minimise noise from the washing machine and dryer.

These were about $110 instead of $60 at Bunnings, so worth spending that bit extra.

The only problem is that they are incredibly heavy.

I had to slide it on one edge along a pathway of cardboard strip to get it from its storage place to the bathroom.

Lifting it up and down each time it needed a trial fit was a real pain in the posterior.

Anyway, being the first door I have ever hung, it took me a very long time to get it right - I didn't turn in until 1.00 am in the morning. However, a very accurate job in the end.

The next morning I was very slow starting and didn't commence work until 9.00 am.

I still needed to fit the door handle mechanism. Despite having done one before, I was still very slow and it took me until 11.00 am to finish this off.

I was a bit afraid of locking myself in to the bathroom all weekend, so the first time I tried the locking mechanism out from the inside, I made sure that I took my mobile phone in with me. Everything is working very well.

Now it was time to paint all the bathroom wall surfaces with sealer coat.

There are a lot of fiddly edges and small wall panels to deal with so progress was very slow.

After the first two walls I decided to switch to a roller for the larger areas and then work proceeded much faster

I didn't finish until 8.00 pm so I don't know what I was doing all day.

One disappointment was the grouted edges of the corner, shower and splash back tiles.

I used flexible grout for these and found that the sealant coat would not adhere.

In addition the splash back on the vanity runs away from the mirror a little and I was attempting to add a wedge of flexible grout here to hide the error.

This has turned out rather ugly and I think I will rip this out and start again.

So a weekend of mixed fortunes.


Headed around to my local hardware to get help with the sealant not adhering to the flexible grouting.

As I walked in the door of the hardware I thought I better have a quick look at the instructions printed on the tube of flexible grout. I spotted the words "Not suitable for painting"

So much for hoping there would be a solution to my problem.

This means I will need to cut all these edges out again and redo in "No More Gaps".

It's bad enough when progress is slow, but having to go backwards is even more difficult to accept.


In the evening I headed out to site and worked on removing the offending edge grouting.

I managed to finish the splashbacks for the hand basin and trough and one side of the shower cubicle.

Fortunately most of the floor corner tiling looks ok - will just need to scrape back a few places only.

It's difficult work - cutting out the majority of the grout is easy with a good snap blade knife but the really arduous part of the job is scraping back the thin layer of rubber adhesion.

This requires the very vigorous application of a chisel with some slight damage to the cement sheeting surface.

I will also need to coat this with some plaster top coat and rub it back to ensure a smooth surface.

I guess I'm never going to make this mistake again.


In the evening I headed out to site and continued on removing the offending edge grouting.

I removed the silicon above the shower, in the corner and the LHS of the shower grouting.

The corner above the shower has a gap so I have filled that with "No More gaps" and then I will used adhesive fibreglass tape and plaster base coat / top coat to tidy up the corner.

Because there is some slight damage to the surfaces from chiselling off the rubbery adhesive, I have applied a thin flushing of plaster top coat to each surface.


Another evening visit to site.

First I applied self adhesive fibreglass tape over the corner above the shower and then a thin base plaster coat.

(Friday night I will apply the plaster top coat)

Next, I sanded down the light plaster coating I applied last night over the splash backs and sides of the shower.

Then I applied "No More Gaps" to all visible tile edges to fill in cavities behind the tiles and to prepare an edge to accept the sealant coat.

All of these visits during the week should now put me back on track, ready to apply to top paint coat this weekend.

Bathroom door fitted

The sealant I am using

After sealant coat

Shouldn't have used flexible grout here

or here

This is ugly, rip it out, start again

Scraping away the flexible grouting - trough

Shower RHS


Corner above shower

Shower LHS

Applying "No More Gaps" to trough splashback


Shower RHS

Flushing join above shower