Contact Us


2010-Feb-27 - Wooroloo - Internal Cladding # 14
Today was a bit of a disappointment - I had really hoped to have the last of the lining up.

I probably lost an hour initially attempting to stop a leak on a solenoid I have hung off the tap to automatically water the young trees along the creek.

I was attempting to add more plumbers tape to one of the joins - but all I succeeded in doing was destroying the thread of a poly adapter piece.

Fortunately, Ian came to the rescue with a white nylon part that performed the same function.

This was a real life saver as it meant I did not have to lose an hour and a half in the middle of the day, going to the hardware for a replacement.

Before I did any installation work, I decided to cut the last three piece of villa board that I would need - these were approximately 3.4 m and two of 2.0 m

It was a good idea to get this out of the way first thing in the morning, rather than struggling in the extreme heat at 13.00.

I installed the insulation in the upper part of the wall that I started last week.

Then I spent at least an hour marking up the cement sheet with all fixing point, cut outs and plumbing "no go" areas.

Unfortunately, the method I had used for large pieces over the last couple of weeks was now very time consuming.

For the open areas in other rooms - I was able to lift either end of the sheet about 300mm each time.

However, in this case - I only had about 15mm clearance at the end of the sheet in a confined space - I was only able to lift each end about 45mm at a time.

The process went something like this:

Insert a piece of pine block on RHS

Insert a piece of pine block on LHS

Insert a piece of pine block on RHS

Insert a piece of pine block on LHS

Replace 2 stacked pine blocks on RHS with a brick

Replace 2 stacked pine blocks on LHS with a brick

Repeat all above steps

This would continue until there was enough room to insert (or reorientate) a box.

The boxes were in fact a set of 3 shelving units from the temporary kitchen.

By rotating them in various orientations I could achieve a spacing of 300mm, 400 mm or 600 mm

Hence - insert them, then add bricks until I could reinsert them with a higher profile.

By carefully inserting cupboard doors I could achieve a very accurate displacement of 15mm at the end so that the sheet could be slid on to the wall in exactly the right position.

What had taken me 20 minutes on my own, (or 3 minutes with a work partner) now took me 2 hours.

I eventually had the sheet in place and was able to fix it off.

Then I moved on to the sheet for the bathroom wall on Ian's side, lower.

I measured up all fastening points, plumbing "no go" areas and cut outs.

Then I installed the insulation and moved the sheet in to place.

Unfortunately I had made a few mistakes and needed to enlarge the cutouts.

Also, I discovered that the ground level was 18mm in error and I needed to have a second go at mounting the sheet level (The large amount of packing under one of the studs should have warned me).

I was contemplating staying until 9.30 pm to install the last sheet but realised I was too tired to work safely or efficiently - so packed up and went home at 19.30

Insulation installed in upper part of the wall

Sheet marked up, predrilled, counter sunk, cutouts

Lifting in to place #1





Preparing the last wall

Some mistakes

Adjusting the level

Lower sheet installed and level