Contact Us


2009-Mar-21 - Wooroloo - Installing Temporary Roof # 9
I had made good progress on building the roof frames two weeks ago.

However, there were still a lot of tasks remaining :

make up screw down brackets, drill screw holes in to 72 brackets, plane an angle on to the top of each frame, attach all the cross bracing, drill holes in the extreme end frames to take bolts through the bottom in to the z purlins, make up the bolts, load corrugated iron and insulation rolls on to the trailer.

I had to find a lot of spare time in the late evenings leading up to this weekend.

To add more pressure - I noticed that my utility had the symptoms of a failing head gasket.

This situation rapidly worsened when I brought the utility down to the lower driveway in order to load up all the roofing frames I had just completed - clouds of white smoke were rolling out of the exhaust.

I rang up Linda, who was driving Kim to his Elton John gig and asked if I could borrow her car for Saturday and Sunday. (This meant that poor Linda, after returning home from the show at 1.00 am also had to empty out the car of all the show gear).

At first I was contemplating two trips out to the block on Saturday morning - once to take the already loaded trailer, and a second to take all the roofing frames out as well.

After a bit of thought I realised that I could offload the insulation rolls temporarily, pack all the roofing frames and then tie the insulation of top. I completed this work under flood light at 9.00 pm Friday evening.

Next morning I was up at 5.00 am to load all my tools in to Linda's car and to hitch up the trailer.

Everything went pretty much to plan from that point - I installed all the frames on Saturday and attached all the sheeting on Sunday.

Frames Installed Saturday

View from the street

Sheets attached Sunday

View from the street

All tucked up ready for rain on Monday