Contact Us


2020-Aug-8 - Wooroloo - Back Wall #42

It was very raw early this morning and I very much wanted to remediate the architraves and apply the second coat.

I decided to stay home and deal with the disappointing paint job.

I spoke to Jim and he explained that on a cold day the enamel will go on too thickly and this is what was causing the paint runs on the flat face (even though I brushed this surface out a number of times).

The "foggy" areas were not much of a problem - some light sanding and they covered up fine.

What took the most time was removing the bad paint runs on the flat face.

I ended up using the scraper from my paint stripping tool box.

The day turned out fine in the end so I was able to leave the sanded architraves and paint tin out in the sun.

By mid afternoon I was able to apply a fine coat of enamel and by next morning the finish was looking good.


Most of the day went on preparing the vertical architraves.

I need 10 pieces around 2.2 metres long but I am preparing 14 pieces to allow for some losses.

The process involves ripping the tongue and groove off 83 mm floorboards using the table saw to achieve a rough finished width of 75 mm.

I then carefully rip down to 70 mm attempting to achieve the best faces possible.

The results are quite pleasing - I take ratty looking floorboards with broken grooves and turn them in to reasonably tidy lengths with good faces.

The nail holes will off course need filling with epoxy (two passes needed) and then sanding back.

But first I will put the timbers through the thicknesser and take them down to 19 mm.

Then I will run a router bit over one face to produce a bull nose.

Monday through Friday

I did not document these as I went - so here is a mishmash recording of what I did.

At home I did indeed put the boards through the thicknesser and also the bull nose router bit.

I filled the nail holes with two part epoxy, waited two days and then refilled any of the slumped areas.

These are currently waiting for sanding back.

Out on site I tidied up the building wrap on the right hand side - I temporarily removed the corner timber and wrapped around it and on to the previously installed wrap.

From that point I installed the next row of cladding - this involved much cutting out of sections to fit around the top of the door frames.

Finally - I managed to install one architrave above one of the door frames. After which the weather made it impossible to continue.

Top architraves had come up well in the end

Starting on the vertical architraves

Building wrap installed above frames

Cut out cladding installed above frames

First architrave installed