To cut out the stringers I at first attempted to use my little band saw.
I thought that this would give me more accurate control as opposed to using a circular saw.
I set up a work bench (2 lengths of pine on carpentry horses) and placed the bandsaw on some spacers.
I found that I had absolutely no control as I attempted to push a large piece of timber through the blade.
Next I tried a jigsaw.
I accurately tracked along the cutting line but the profile of the cut was not square - the blade was deviating.
Next I tried a little box saw but this was a lot of work.
I have a good quality Makita corded circular saw that is set up in my Triton work bench.
I extricated it from its mounting frame.
The benefit of this saw, as opposed to the cheap but cheerful GMC that I use out on site, is that I can watch the cutting edge of the blade without getting a faceful of sawdust.
Using the saw I managed to cut the first stringer.
I cut the next 3 stringers.
I loaded up the cut stringers and headed out to site.
It took me all day to install the first run (undercroft floor to first landing)
This involved a lot of fettling and careful adjustments to achieve as much accuracy as possible.
I repeated for the next set of stringers (landing to street level).
Again very slow and took the entire day.
I really need to build the partition wall that will run alongside these stringer - so need to order some H3 45 x 90 pine.
I also need to cut and install the middle stringers for each run.
I ordered the pine at start of business in the morning and picked it up at 2 pm from Midland Timber.
I also purchased a drill bit to allow me to drill through the floor tiles without shattering them.
I had coffee with the boys and then headed out to site to build the partition wall.
Being a slow start to the day - I did not achieve a lot.
I dynabolted down the retaining batten at the beginning of the first flight of stairs.
I also used a plumbob to mark up the floor and wall positions of the partitioning.
I used a diamond tipped angle grinder blade to cut a slot in the wall tiles on both sides of the room.
I purchased more dynabolts at the Mt Helena Hardware and also home grown fruit next to the post office in Chidlow.
Once on site I rebated one stud and the bottom plate to fit around the 5mm overlength of the landing.
This was fiddly and wasted a lot of time.
I then trenched the top and bottom plates to accept the studs.
Next I drilled 12 mm holes in to the floor and dynabolted the bottom plate in to position.
I started drilling the overhead 12 mm holes through the 8 mm thickness of the overhead beam but I could feel this causing my back to spasm.
After a bit of fiddling around I hit on the idea of a crude upwards drill press using a long length of timber and a pivoted lever arm.
It was late by now so I had to stop. I will continue the drilling on another day.
I must admit, I will be very relieved once I have completed the drilling.