Contact Us


2022-Sep-24 - Wooroloo - Plumbing #18

I unpacked the 600 mm sq tiles we had bought and worked on fitting them in to the cubicle floor.

This involved shaving about 10 mm off one side, cutting out semi circles to allow for the 100 mm stack and other cutouts for the floor waste and ascending waste line.

My attempt at cutting out the 50 mm floor waste hole using an outrigger style attachment was a failure.

I simply melted the carborundum tip.

I rang up Tool Mart and priced a proper diamond tipped hole saw.

$97 but I could not face hours of messing around drilling 30 holes around the circumference.


Did some work for a client and then picked up the hole saw.

Turns out they had discounted the tool even at $97 - so many thanks Tool Mart.


Out on site again.

The hole saw worked a charm and had the job sorted in mere minutes with a very clean cut.

I then went on to apply the bond breaker and first coat of waterproofing to the cubicle floor.

Not a particularly brilliant job on my part I'm afraid to say.

I hung around for an hour or so hoping that I could apply the second coat but it needed more time to go off.

I headed home around 3 am and did some more work for a client.


I applied the second code of membrane and then headed home.

I moved on to some parallel projects.

I am working on restoring the door jambs for the toilet cubicle - this has reached the point where I just needed to sand back the second application of some 2 part expoxy to various holes and flaws in the timber.

Also, I trimmed the kitchen window sill that I am working on and drilled 5 holes to take some massive 200 mm x 12 mm coach screws.

This was tricky work requiring the drill press to keep the 140 mm drill holes nicely aligned.


Some of the tiles needed a little more shaping because of the thickness of the membrane in various places (when I first cut them to fit I achieved fairly close tolerances).

I then spent the rest of the day applying adhesive and gluing the tiles down.

I found this to be exhausing work - mainly because I was very concerned that I would mess it up.

Overall I achieved a good result - I am just hoping that I have fully supported the tile and that they don't crack in the future.


The first job was to install the double width window sill that I have been working on.

I carefully set up a pile of wooden blocks to position it as high up in the window frame base as possible (where Linda wanted it.

I then started drilling through the existing bolt holes in the sill in to the window frame using a 300 mm x 8 mm drill bit.

The central position was ok as it had the middle frame stud to take the drilling.

However, as soon as I went to one side - I punched through to thin air on the external side of the window.

I had to drop everything down by 30 mm - which turns out to be the original position of the sill anyway.

Once finished - the sill was very sturdy. I don't believe there will be any need for supporting brackets.

This took me up to 2.00 pm and after a 1 hour break I started work on the small hand basin in the toilet cubicle.

This required a rebated nogging to be added in order to support the cabinet.

After some head scratching I worked out how the securing brackets worked and finished this job by 6.00 pm.

I am now ready for the plumber to come and do the next section of work.

Tiles trimmed and fitted

Well worth the money

First coat of water proofing membrane

Preparing the kitchen window sill

Tiles installed

Oops !

Kitchen window sill installed

Small hand basin installed